John Wick: Parabellum; To See or Not To See
As of this writing the Tomatometer had it at 89%, Metacritic was at 73% and IMDB was at 8.4/10.
As the movie sequels continue we begin to cycle in more main stream actors who want to get in on the successful action series. We add in The Crow, Ser Bronn, Catwoman, The Penguin, and Morticia Addams into the fray. Also Morpheus and of course the great Ian McShane makes their returns as well.
After gunning down a member of the High Table -- the shadowy international assassin's guild -- legendary hit man John Wick finds himself stripped of the organization's protective services. Now stuck with a $14 million bounty on his head, Wick must fight his way through the streets of New York as he becomes the target of the world's most ruthless killers.
What was a great story fell victim of the same stupidity that occurred during the writer strike years ago. Why does stories need to put in a government or secret society above all that governs everything? What I really enjoyed about this series is that it followed the same 80’s action formula that proceeded it.
1. Love interest that changes protagonist outlook on life.
2. Protagonist Finds peace and is in love.
3. Someone stupidly kills love interest.
4. Main character seeks revenge and its bloody as hell.
John Wick followed this formula for the most part(love interest changed to dog) and both films were perfect they way they were. Now they incorporate in a “high” table? A high table of what? Of assassins? Governments? Chefs? That wasn’t really explained.
· There is some excellent top shelf killing.
· The sequel shifts gears to show you new types of violence that were not brought forward in sequels(dogs, making someone a human pin cushion).
· Keanu Reeves continues to push the limits of his role and now shows an origin story to the great John Wick.
· Mark Dacascos plays the perfect ruthless killer who is a super fan boy of the great John Wick.
· The humor was great and delivered at the proper times. IE when switching out guns during the Continental raid scene.
· The story literally gets out of control. As mentioned earlier, the formula worked, Why change it? Oh I know, so we can make this a 6 sequel series. As much as that happened in the past with Delta Force, Best of The Best, and any horror series that as 1319738703 sequels. I feel that John Wick should never gone past 3 films.
· Halle Berry or the amount of time of her being on screen was not needed. It felt like her character was added as a favor. It was not relevant to the story. The only positive of her character was the dogs.
Things that stood out:
The Film continues to push the envelope with its graphic violence and innovative deaths. John Wick continues to be unstoppable and now has taken on a “Crank” esk survival rate. It just seems no matter what happens to him, he will always survive and the last scene anyone/everywhere would call bullshit.
Why we should watch or not watch it:
I had to complete 2 viewings of this film to fully appreciate the film. And that I sat beside a completely ignorant person who stunk, made tons of questionable noises and was a repeater. But after 2 views, the story direction ruined on the delivery, regardless of how action packed it was.